[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Section 8 Clan Forums • View topic - IMPORTANT SERVER NOTICE
Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Topics » General Gaming Topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post Posted: May 5th, 2018, 3:41 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

So, I've been asking around different Host's to see if we are able to rollback with them. One reply I had gotten was (and not to mention the reply came like not even a minute later, which was awesome) "If you find the patch for us yes we can extract it and swap the exe files over for you." - Is that possible?

www.gtxgaming.co.uk

Post Posted: May 5th, 2018, 7:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The last two messages in the exchange with GameServers:

<<< ME -- Posted 05/05/18 12:43pm >>>
Thanks for the follow up. I wanted to provide some more background related to how an unannounced switch to a different patch has affected us.

Such a decision has a variety of implications, some of which you've explained. In our case, this change instantaneously severed the lifeline to our player base. Our player base is 1.2 and there is a healthy niche of gamers that play on the 1.2 patch who frequent our servers. We are connected to some players via the internet and social media, but most regulars are more casual pubbers to which we have no means to communicate. In some ways we are very much a community that for some has become more like family, but were never given the chance to prepare our regular players for this forced switch to 1.8.

On behalf of our 1.2 gaming community, I must say that to have happen unannounced is simply unfair. I ask that GameServers.com partner with us to properly wind up server operations and allow us to communicate with and inform our player base about what is happening. Ideally we would be afforded the means to get our server at 8.6.76.94 back onto 1.2 for a reasonable period of time (preferably 60 days, which gets us summer break when server traffic often increases).

If this is not an option, I would like additional clarification surrounding the security implications resolved by this patch so we can explore our options. An opportunity to temporarily host on 1.7 could also prove useful as some players are dual-patched. I would also be interested to learn if GameServers.com can provide hosted services that would permit us to host and administer our own server(s). Alternatively, I'd like your assistance in identifying another hosting provider that our ClanPay balance can be transferrerd and can assist with hosting COD4 1.2 or offers server hosting solutions that would suffice in administering our own server.

We have been a loyal, long time client and it is imperative to us that our 1.2 community be given the opportunity to facilitate a proper transition. I appreciate your thoughtfulness and consideration as we explore a solution to this problem.

<<< GS -- Posted 05/05/18 1:46pm >>>
I understand your frustration with the sudden change, the patch was a complete surprise to us as it was to everyone else, even with our extensive contacts inside Infinity Ward and Activision. We had an internal debate about upgrading and all came to the conclusion that all servers had to be updated to protect our servers. Being a GSP makes us a huge target for this type of exploit. This patch fixes a critical bug that allows remote execution on COD4 servers. This was a serious enough bug that Activision decided that releasing a patch for a game that hasn't seen an update in 10 years was warranted. You can read about the exploit here and check out the proof of concept that was just released: https://momo5502.com/blog/?p=34

With that being said, we would not be able to downgrade your server to 1.2. A dedicated server though would be your only option. We do not currently offer any dedicated servers in STL or CHI, only in our NJ datacenter. But since you are a long time client, and do have a very large clanpay balance, we can try to figure out a solution for you. Please just give us a couple of days and we can try to work out a solution for you.

Thank You,

Sean McGuire
http://www.gameservers.com

Post Posted: May 5th, 2018, 8:03 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Wow. I thought it was just the server provider over reacting to a possible exploitation of the game. But if Activision released a patch that requires an update to 1.8 then it must’ve been a very bad vulnerability. I’m kinda curious how no one has found this out till now. Hackers live to destroy legitimate works, and this game has been around since...2011? 2010? And no one has found this til now?

Ruddy, the other night when this happened, I actually did find our S&D server and tried to join it. I got a message saying it required version 1.8 and then I wasn’t able to find it again. As for not being able to find it after you’ve upgraded, is it possible we have two problems? It is possible the server picked this unfortunate time to crash.

And how will B3 be affected by this? I know it runs on a separate server, but is it set up to only interact with v1.2 of the game?

Need Version COD 4 v1.8? Click

Post Posted: May 5th, 2018, 8:42 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

I've just reinstalled the steam version and these are the only servers that pop up. I've played with the filters as well, in case I was missing something. I don't know what I'm missing or what I need to do. I saw Compguy on the server earlier, with the understanding that he too bought the steam version?

The link is what I'm seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw77daL ... e=youtu.be

Last edited by Ruddy on May 5th, 2018, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: May 5th, 2018, 8:43 pm 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Also, if we indeed are looking for another provider I've found another who given the files would be happy to rollback our server to 1.2.

https://www.branzone.com/

"Hello,
Thank you for contacting Branzone.com support.
Yes we should be able to host this version for you. As we currently only have the latest version within our system, do you have a download link for the 1.2 files?

--
Mike H."

Post Posted: May 6th, 2018, 1:57 am 
Clan Member
Clan Member

Given that you have the correct version of the game (see my prior comment), you can find our server by adding it as s favourite.

Just click the game type until it says "favourite", and then you'll be able to choose "new favourite". In the IP window, write 8.6.76.94.28961.

Post Posted: May 6th, 2018, 2:44 am 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Now the issue is...does everyone see the server or no?

Post Posted: May 6th, 2018, 4:57 am 
Clan Member
Clan Member

Sadly, no - only when you have added it as a favourite, you will see it.

Post Posted: May 6th, 2018, 5:03 am 
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

No, I understand that.

I am basically getting at, if master server list is being all screwy, there will be 0 population to our server. I was hoping that I was a rare case.

On a side note - I love having accurate sniping atm. Haha

Post Posted: May 6th, 2018, 5:10 am 
Clan Member
Clan Member

Yeah, my hypothesis is that our port number (28961) causes the problem with main list, because it is not a standard port (28960 or 28930).. But I don't know.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Board index » General Topics » General Gaming Topics